time is - just is what it is

I finished Paul’s book “When breath becomes air” an hour before mid-night not knowing that the next few hours to dawn would be a struggle in itself for me. I couldn’t but remain awake as Paul’s struggle, Lucy’s love and the decision to have Cady in their lives revolved in my thoughts.

How would you react to the terminal illness which would definitely change the course of life itself making it shorter every moment?

As you watch life slip away faster than it does for the ones around you, knowing that time is the only factor that constricts your capabilities from making a difference, frequently feeling your absence in the lives of your beloved ones, feeling helpless; would you surrender?

Paul paces himself against time and circumstances to create meaning for the life he created with Lucy. He convinces life to surrender, triggers another life so lovely and beautiful - Cady.

He writes – “Words have a longevity I do not.” before his message for his new born daughter, Cady – “When you come to one of the many moments in life where you must give an account of yourself, provide a ledger of what you have been, and done, and meant to the world, do not, I pray, discount that you filled a dying man’s days with a sated joy, a joy unknown to me in all my prior years, a joy that does not hunger for more and more but rests, satisfied. In this time, right now, that is an enormous thing.”.



More than his note, this book, I discovered, is a memoir of Paul’s journey intertwined between the deep uncertainties and certainties created from an unending desire to create a meaning of life.

"Time is- just is what it is" - Paul.

0 comments: